Featured Next Nissan Z Must Be Revolutionary and Repositioned to be Successful

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Administrator, Jun 16, 2015.

Jun 16, 2015
  1. Administrator Administrator Staff Member

Nissan head of design, Shiro Nakamura, stated recently that the next generation Nissan Z sports car would be more revolution than evolution and hinted that displacement and power may remain the same or decrease.

He also discussed the repositioning of the Z car not only in terms of price tag but the running costs of owning the vehicle, making reference to the possibility of a four-cylinder turbo option.

As for the rumors of possible IDx-inspired styling? Nakamura stated it is currently not in the plans for the Z car.

2. Jun 17, 2015
  3. Administrator Administrator Staff Member

More comments from Nakamura, suggesting the next Z could be closer to the original 240Z.

4. Jun 22, 2015
  5. FPenvy Moderator Staff Member

FPenvy
    Car(s):
    2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT
    simple formula to keep the Z alive.

more power. less weight.

everyone I know and have talked to is pretty much in the same boat. if the Z goes to less power and falls in line with the BRZ/FRS range of cars we're all moving on and away from the Z. it's a sad day and hopefully it's not true. I really hope the power plant choice rumors change back to a TT V6 engine going in the car. even though they say "don't expect a clone" but a cheap Z with a 4 banger making low power is a clone of the BRZ/FRS/Miata. I bought a Z because it wasn't any of those cars.

6. Jun 24, 2015
  7. 350ZZZ Well-Known Member

350ZZZ
    Car(s):
    07 350Z NISMO
    More power + less weight is every manufacturer's dream formula. But few are able to achieve that without jacking up the price :(

I'm really hoping that they just go forced induction too instead of downsizing to a 4 cylinder. Sorry if I offend any 4 cylinder engined car owners but it's simply too wimpy a powerplant for a modern day Z car. I also hope we don't go down to the level of the 86 cars. Sales of those cars are not strong anyway so why try to compete for such a small pie to begin with.

8. Jun 25, 2015
  9. J_Watts Member

Car(s):
    Toyota 86
    Sounds like we're already starting to see a carbon fiber revolution. Once costs for producing it drops, more companies will be able to use to make their cars lighter, which equals more performance without actually having to increase power.

10. Jul 6, 2015
  11. FPenvy Moderator Staff Member

FPenvy
    Car(s):
    2009 370Z S/T/N 7AT
    a 4 cyl can make power. will it in a production car from factory? no. one semi-good example of it would be the focus RS whatever it is coming with 315HP which is still 17HP below the current Z. possibly even the mustang ecoboost pumping 310hp/320tq out of the 2.3L 4 banger turbo. its possible.

however, the Z community has said it time and time again the car has always had a 6cyl either in an inline or V form since day 1. the faithful will be crushed.

I just want 400hp+ and a beefier AT tranny. I want a good looking Z. I want to smack pony cars around lol

12. Jul 14, 2015
  13. tetsuo Active Member

tetsuo
    Car(s):
    Nissan Maxima
    This could be the last 6 cylinder Z generation we see me thinks.

14. Jul 15, 2015
  15. Kamikazee New Member

Kamikazee
    Car(s):
    1973 Datsun 240Z, 1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin-Turbo
    You've got to be kidding guys. Continuing to add more power and take away weight is simply unrealistic, and does NOT make for a better driving experience automatically.

I for one, would LOVE to see the Z return to its roots as a lighter, smaller, more affordable 2-seater sports car in the same vein as the original S30. It needs to focus on driver feel and responsiveness, and a great performance to dollar value. More power does not equal better driving. You have to learn how to do more with less.

You do realize that the BRZ/FRS/Miata you're putting down are some of the best handling, most highly reviewed, and most enthusiast loved sports cars out right now for sheer driving enjoyment, including reviews by professional race car drivers, don't you? Its because they're doing it RIGHT. Lightweight, small, agile, responsive, affordable, and FUN. This is the same formula that made the original S30 Z cars such a success. I happen to own a 240Z, and I love it.

Think about other popular affordable sports cars of generations past... MGB, Triumph TR6, Porsche 914, and lots more similar. Over the years, we've gotten away from the great handling affordable lightweight sports car and turned them into bloated overweight overpowered dragsters. Sports car =/= Muscle car. The Z has always been a sports car. It is time for a return to the Z's roots, and true sports car roots.

16. Jul 16, 2015
  17. Dantes Active Member

Dantes
    Car(s):
    350Z
    Less weight = more power. It will feel like it at least and that is what will matter to most. All the rhetoric is pointing to a smaller more back to its roots design and I am all for that. Instead of competing with pony cars that have become bloated over the years and required ever increasing horsepower to keep up, it should buck the trend and focus more on driving dynamics, handling and feel.

18. Aug 9, 2015
  19. Ultima Member

Car(s):
    Nissan
    I agree with almost everything you wrote but we also have to be realistic in our expectations for weight loss. Lots of manufacturers discuss shedding weight in their sports cars (even muscle cars like Mustang and Camaro) and few have made good on that promise. I don't blame them - the amount of safety requirements and nanny systems that have to go into cars these days makes it nearly impossible. A lot of us old enough to remember long for these cars to 'return to their roots' but that was 30 years ago when people were smaller, cars were less powerful AND less safe. The only way would be to drmatically change the dimensions which won't happen unless you want the Z to go to a true 2 seater or to use some expensive materials which is simply not realistic for a car that sells in such miniscule volume. The problem is this: as engineers find ways to take pounds out of the car, it gets added right back in (and then some) with bigger engines, bigger brakes, bigger tires, and stronger (often heavier) materials to keep them safe. This happened with the C7 and Mustang to name a few recent examples.